Friday, April 3, 2009

The Coach Part 2

Well, today was our B-Ball tourney in Dryden and it was heck of a ride. Although, we could not technically win the tournament we still had fun, going 2 wins 1 loss in the round robin and losing in the final. Coaching a team sport is a very interesting experience. Every game is completely different. It allows you to relive your youth through others.

I always preach to my team that someone is going to get hurt. Thankfully, we did not have any major injuries but nearing the end of our final game one of the girls took a ball square in the face. Not a pleasant thing. She toughed it out. Not to forget my other player whose head rebounded off the floor and stayed in the game. They are troopers to be sure.

I am proud to say my team was one tough group of girls. The game against Pinewood was the most physical game I have ever been part of as a coach. I learn something new all the time. Do you tell your girls to back down in the face of elbows, pushing, punching etc? It was almost like something out of a movie. The other team sends on a player and as they come onto the court they nudge our player. Don't mess with a 13 year girl. Well, let's just say I didn't tell my team to back down. After our very rough and tumble game one of the coaches from another team commented to me that they were a little nervous because they had to play us next. Intimidation factor? maybe, being labeled as goons? maybe. Nonetheless, we won the next game. It was a clean game. All our other games were pretty clean. It is interesting to be part of a heated game. How do games turn into grudge matches? I will leave that one to the philosophers. A person could write a book on that kind of thing. There probably are some books about this out there and perhaps I will look it.

I always wonder how someone else would coach the same group of girls I did. Would they do better, worse, the same? A question that will never be answered. All in all it was a good season. I am always a little sad to see it all end but the rest is good. This is the last time the team will be together. I will always be able to say I had a role to play in the lives of their basketball careers. Maybe one day one of them will become a superstar and send me a royalty cheque.

There are five returning players next year. Who knows what the future may bring.

Turn up the Heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment